The World Hockey Association 2 was an league created at the instigation of the organizers of the proposed recreated World Hockey Association to serve as its development league. The WHA2 teams – some of which had played the 2002-03 season in the Atlantic Coast Hockey League – were all in the southeastern United States.
The WHA2 operated in the 2003-2004 season only, after which (due to a falling out with the parent organization) it was served a cease-and-desist from the WHA and ceased operations. David Waronker was credited with both the founding and collapse of the league. In addition he owned or co-owned all of the teams in the league. Its surviving teams merged with survivors of the South East Hockey League to form the Southern Professional Hockey League for the 2004-2005 season.
WHA2 franchises Edit
- Orlando Seals (became the Florida Seals in the 2005-06 SPHL season)
- Jacksonville Barracudas (moved to SPHL for 2004-05)
- Macon Trax (moved to SPHL for 2004-05)
- Miami Manatees (folded after 2003-04)
- Lakeland Loggerheads (folded after 2003-04)
- Alabama Slammers (folded after 2003-04)