The United Hockey Union is a group of junior ice hockey leagues bound together by their Amateur Athletic Union certification in the United States. There are leagues operating outside of the sanctioning of USA Hockey.
Although the WSHL became the first junior league to join the AAU in 2011, the UHU only became possible in 2012 when the NSHL and MWJHL joined.
For the 2015-16 season the Western States Hockey League was announced as being elevated to Tier-II status.
On September 5, 2016, the organization announced that a Tier-I (free to play) league was being formed for the 2017-18 season. Link to article announcing formaton of the league.
Member Leagues (Junior)Edit
- Western States Hockey League (WSHL) (2011-Present)
- Canadian Premier Junior Hockey League (CPJHL) (2016-Present)
- National College Prospects Hockey League (NCPHL) (2016-2017)
Member Leagues (Collegiate)Edit
- National Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) formerly known as the National Association of Intercollegiate Hockey (2010-2013) and Collegiate Ice Hockey Association (2013-2014) (joined in July 2014) 20 teams arranged into 4 divisions with their own national championship
Former Member LeaguesEdit
- Midwest Junior Hockey League (MWJHL) (2012-2015) league withdrew when league members joined United States Premier Hockey League.
- Canadian Independent Junior Hockey League (July 2014-September 2014) league folded without playing a game
- Northern States Junior Hockey League (NSHL) (2012-September 10, 2014) withdrew when league was taken over by North American Hockey League and the league was renamed the North American 3 Eastern Hockey League
- Canadian International Hockey League (May 2014- November 10, 2014) withdrew over dispute involving insurance coverage in Canada and territorial expansion into the United States
- Tropical Elite Junior Hockey League (announced as joining in 2012; but league didn't play)
- World United Hockey League (WUHL) league joined AAU on November 13, 2014 after member teams withdrew from Canadian International Hockey League to form own league. League disbanded after 2014-15 season