| 5 ft 11 in (1.8 m)|
197 lb (90 kg)
|NHL Team||Boston Bruins|
|Born|| September 24 1988,|
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
|NHL Draft|| 93rd overall, 2007|
|Pro Career||2010 – present|
Steven Kampfer (born September 24, 1988) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman who is currently playing for the Boston Bruins in the National Hockey League. He was selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the 4th round (93rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Kampfer played four seasons with the University of Michigan before turning professional.
On March 2, 2010, the Anaheim Ducks traded Kampfer to the Boston Bruins in exchange for a conditional 4th-round draft pick. The Bruins signed him to a three-year entry-level contract and assigned them to their AHL affiliate, the Providence Bruins, for the remainder of the 2009–10 AHL season.
Kampfer started the 2010–11 NHL season playing in the American Hockey League for the Providence Bruins, but in early December he was promoted to the NHL, on an emergency basis, to fill in for the injured Mark Stuart. Kampfer made his NHL debut with the Bruins on December 9, 2010, skating 19 shifts (13:50 ice time) in a 5-2 home win over the New York Islanders.
Kampfer scored his first NHL point on December 15, 2010 (his 3rd NHL game) against the Buffalo Sabres. His first NHL goal was scored on December 28 against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Kampfer recorded his first multi-point game on January 13, 2011 against the Philadelphia Flyers when he scored the game-winning goal with 1:14 remaining in the game to earn the first star honours for the night.
Kampfer's high average ice time during his first 17 games as a Bruin, combined with the confidence shown by the coach in power play and key defensive situations, were intended to help make his case for a more permanent position on the roster, as when defenseman Mark Stuart was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers on February 18, 2011, center Rich Peverley was acquired in return, and Kampfer's continued presence with the Bruins proved valuable. His speed and ability to jump into the play, as recommended by the coaching staff, have added a much needed element to the Boston Bruins as of January 13, 2011.
Kampfer suffered a minor knee injury on April 9, 2011 while playing a game for the AHL's Providence Bruins, and he has been recuperating since that time. Unfortunately, he was not able to rejoin the Boston team during the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Kampfer played in 38 games, three short of what is required to have his name engraved onto the Stanley Cup. Though the team petitioned the league to include both Kampfer and injured center Marc Savard on the cup, Savard's name was included, but Kampfer was not. The NHL decided that since Kampfer spent the first 1/4 of season in the minors, it was his first NHL season, and was not dressed in the playoffs, so his name would not be engraved on the Stanley Cup. Boston gave Kampfer a Stanley Cup ring and included him on the official team picture.
Career statistics Edit
|2004–05||Sioux City Musketeers||USHL||47||6||13||19||91||13||2||5||7||12|
|2005–06||Sioux City Musketeers||USHL||56||6||10||16||99||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||University of Michigan||CCHA||35||1||3||4||24||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||University of Michigan||CCHA||42||2||15||17||36||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||University of Michigan||CCHA||25||1||12||13||24||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||University of Michigan||CCHA||45||3||23||26||50||—||—||—||—||—|
- ↑ 4th round pick was later traded to the Carolina Hurricanes who selected Justin Shugg.
- ↑ http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?10075&showAllMoves=1
- ↑ http://www.wickedlocal.com/holliston/sports/x457321611/Bruins-Kamfper-gets-call
- ↑ http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020411&navid=sb:recap
- ↑ http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/steven-kampfer-finding-his-scoring-touch-in-pro-game-sparks-bruins-with-late-goal-against-flyers.html
- ↑ DJ Bean (April 10, 2011). Steve Kampfer suffers injury while playing for Providence. Big Bad Blog. WEEI.com. Retrieved on 9 May 2011.
- ↑ Mike Loftus (May 6, 2011). Boston Bruins defenseman Steven Kampfer hopes to benefit from frustrating injury experience. The Patriot Ledger. Patriot Ledger.com. Retrieved on 9 May 2011.
- ↑ George Sipple (June 22, 2011). NHL roundup: Steve Kampfer hopes to get his name on Stanley Cup. Detroit Free Press. Retrieved on July 6, 2011.
- ↑ http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/09/28/steven-kampfer-ok-with-being-left-off-the-cup/
- Steven Kampfer's career stats at Eliteprospects.com
- Steven Kampfer's NHL player profile
- Steven Kampfer's career stats at The Internet Hockey Database
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Steven Kampfer. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|