The Montreal Winter Carnival Ice Hockey Tournaments were a series of annual ice hockey tournaments held in the 1880s in conjunction with the Montreal Winter Carnival, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. First held in 1883, these tournaments are considered to be the first championship ice hockey tournaments and the predecessor to the first championship ice hockey league, the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada.
In 1883, the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association (MAAA) was asked to add sports to the events to be held with the Montreal Carnival. The MAAA was affiliated with the Montreal Snowshoe Club. Along with the McGill Hockey Club, they organized a four-team tournament, played outdoors on the St. Lawrence River. The trophy for this tournament is on display at the Musee McCord Museum in Montreal.
In 1884, the Ottawa Hockey Club the first team from outside Montreal played in the tournament. For this tournament, the location changed to a rink made on the McGill University grounds. In 1886, the Quebec Hockey Club joined the tournament line-up.
In December 1886, the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada was founded by the four Montreal teams (McGill, Montreal Hockey Club, Montreal Crystals, Montreal Victorias) and the Ottawa Hockey Club.
- 1883 - Montreal Winter Carnival Hockey Tournament (winner McGill), held on the St. Lawrence River.
- 1884 - Montreal Winter Carnival Hockey Tournament (winner Victorias), held at McGill's outdoor rink
- 1885 - Montreal Winter Carnival Hockey Tournament (winner Montreal), held at the Crystal Rink
- 1886 - Dominion Championship (winner Crystals)
- 1887 - Montreal Winter Carnival Hockey Tournament (winner Montreal)
- 1889 - Montreal Winter Carnival Hockey Tournament (winner Victorias)
This list is incomplete.
|February 5||Crystals||1||Wanderers||0||McGill Rink|
|February 6||McGill University||W||Crystals||L(default)||McGill Rink|
|February 6||Wanderers||L(default)||Victorias||W||McGill Rink|
|February 7||McGill||1||Ottawa||0||McGill Rink|
|February 8||Ottawa||1||Victorias||0||McGill Rink|
|February 10||Ottawa||3||McGill||0||McGill Rink|
|February 11||Victorias||1||Ottawa||0||McGill Rink|
Victorias Win Hockey Tournament
Source: Montreal Gazette
In February, the Montreal teams of the AHAC participated in the Montreal Winter Carnival hockey tournament. The tournament, which was scheduled to play outdoors on an ice rink at the Ice Palace, was disrupted by two days of storms, and was not completed until February 25. During this time, no AHAC challenges were played.
|February 7||Montreal Victorias||2||Montreal HC||0||Ice Palace Rink|
|February 15||Montreal Crystals||6||Montreal HC||3||Crystal Rink|
|February 21||Montreal Crystals||0||Montreal HC||1||Crystal Rink|
|February 23||Montreal Victorias||5||McGill||1||Crystal Rink|
|February 25||Montreal Victorias||0||Montreal HC||1||Crystal Rink|
Montreal HC wins Winter Carnival Tournament.
Source: Montreal Gazette
|February 4||Montreal Victorias||2||Montreal HC||1||Victoria Rink|
|February 9||Montreal Crystals||7||McGill||3||Victoria Rink|
|February 18||Montreal Victorias||3||Montreal Crystals||2||Victoria Rink|
Montreal Victorias win Winter Carnival Tournament.
Source: Kitchen 2000, p.12
- Kitchen, Paul, "Before The Trail of the Stanley Cup", in Diamond, Dan, Total Hockey, pp. 8-15, ISBN 189212985X
- ↑ A picture of this trophy can be seen at here.
- ↑ The trophy for this tournament is on display at the Musee McCord Museum in Montreal. A picture of this trophy can be seen here.
- ↑ The 1886 Montreal Winter Carnival was cancelled due to a smallpox epidemic in Montreal.
- ↑ According to azhockey.com, Crystals was awarded the trophy, when the Quebec team did not finish due to the Crystals' rough tactics.
- ↑ Kitchen 2000, p. 10.
- ↑ Kitchen 2000, p. 12.
- ↑ "The Hockey Matches", Montreal Gazette, February 6, 1884, p. 7.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "The Hockey Matches", Montreal Gazette, February 7, 1884, p. 5.
- ↑ "The Hockey Matches", Montreal Gazette, February 8, 1884, p. 5.
- ↑ "The Hockey Matches", Montreal Gazette, February 9, 1884, p. 5.
- ↑ "The Hockey Matches", Montreal Gazette, February 11, 1884, p. 5.
- ↑ "Hockey", Montreal Gazette, February 12, 1884, p. 1.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "Winter Carnival Sports", Toronto Daily Mail, February 5, 1889, p. 2.
- ↑ "A Rattling Game Between the Crystal and McGill Clubs", Toronto Daily Mail, February 11, 1889, p. 2.
- ↑ "Skating: Gordon Wins the Mile Championship", Toronto Daily Mail, February 19, 1889, p. 2.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Montreal Winter Carnival ice hockey tournaments. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|