"Carabins" is the name of the sports teams of the University of Montreal, located in Montreal, Quebec. The school was originally called the Montreal campus of Laval University. The Carabins are members of the Reseau du sport etudiant du Quebec (RSEQ) and Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS). The RSEQ does not operate a hockey league, and has not done since 1987. In any event, the Carabins folded their hockey program after the 1971-72 season. The team operated in the Canadian Intercollegiate Athletic Union, Montreal City Hockey League, Montreal Senior Group, International Intercollegiate League, Quebec-Ontario Athletic Association, and the Quebec Universities Athletic Association.
History of the SchoolEdit
As an institution, the university was first founded when the Université Laval in Quebec City founded a new branch in Montréal in 1878, which became known as the Université de Laval à Montréal. This initially went against the wishes of Montréal's prelate, who advocated an independent university in his city. Certain parts of the institution's educational facilities, such as those of the Séminaire de Québec and the Faculty of Medicine, founded as the Montreal School of Medicine and Surgery, had already been established in Montréal in 1876 and 1843 respectively. The Vatican granted the university some administrative autonomy in 1889, thus allowing it to choose its own professors and license its own diplomas. However it was not until 8 May 1919 that a papal charter from Pope Benedict XV granted full autonomy to the university. It thus became an independent Catholic university and adopted Université de Montréal as its name. Laval composed by Wilfrid Beaudry was dedicated to the students at Laval University and the Université de Montréal. The music for piano was published in Québec by J. Beaudry, circa 1906.
- SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA
List of SeasonsEdit
Senior Seasons: 1907-08 to 1938-39Edit
- 1907-08 CIAU Season
- 1908-09 CIAU Season
- 1909-10 CIAU Season
- 1910-11 CIAU Season
- 1911-12 CIAU Season
- 1914-15 MCHL
- 1915-16 MCHL
- 1916-17 MCHL
- 1917-18 MCHL
- 1922-23 CIAU Season
- 1923-24 CIAU Season
- 1924-25 CIAU Season
- 1925-26 CIAU Season
- 1926-27 CIAU Season
- 1927-28 CIAU Season
- 1927-28 Montreal Senior Group
- 1928-29 Montreal Senior Group
- 1929-30 Montreal Senior Group
- 1931-32 Montreal Senior Group
- 1932-33 CIAU Season
- 1936-37 CIAU Season
- 1936-37 International Intercollegiate League
- 1937-38 CIAU Season
- 1937-38 International Intercollegiate League
- 1938-39 CIAU Season
- 1938-39 International Intercollegiate League
- Montreal City Hockey League (MCHL)
- Montreal Senior Group (MSG)
- Canadian Intercollegiate Athletic Union (CIAU)
- International Intercollegiate League (IIL)
- Quebec-Ontario Athletic Association (QOAA)
- Quebec Universities Athletic Association (QUAA)
Intermediate Seasons: Edit
Click on the links in the “Year/Comp.” column to go to the page for that season.
Post-World War II Era: 1945-46 to 1971-72Edit
|1962 QOAA||12||3||9||0||59||76||6||E 4th|
|1963 QOAA||12||1||10||1||41||87||3||E 4th|
|1969 QOAA||15||9||5||1||85||62||19||E 3rd|
|1970 QOAA||15||9||5||1||67||61||19||E 2nd|
|1971 QOAA||15||7||5||3||62||59||17||E 3rd|
- 1945-46 started in a one division format.
- In 1949 the Thompson Cup was revived for the winners of the CIAU and NCAA (USA).
- In 1951 the three Quebec teams played an additional series.
- 1961-62 started two division format: East and West.
- 1963-64 returned to a one division format.
- In 1964 Toronto declined to play in the University Cup and Montrel went instead.
- In 1965 Montreal declined to enter the University Cup.
- 1968-69 returned to a two division format: East and West.
- The QUAA operated in a one division format.
- E means East Division.
- Queen's Cup - CIAU: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953
- Thompson Cup: 1949
- Queen's Cup - QOAA: 1965
- Canadian Interuniversity Sport
- List of University Cup Playoffs
- 1967 Canada Winter Games Hockey Tournament
- Queen's Cup
- Ontario University Athletics
- List of OUA Seasons
- List of OUAA Seasons
- RSEQ (formerly QSSF and QUAA)
- List of QUAA Seasons
- CIAU (Central)
- Quebec-Ontario Athletic Association
- List of CIAU Central Seasons
- List of QOAA Seasons
- Ontario Intercollegiate Athletic Association
- List of OIAA Seasons
- Ottawa-St. Lawrence Conference
- List of OSLC Seasons
- Intermediate Intercollegiate Series
- List of Intermediate Intercollegiate Seasons (1902-03 to 1938-39)
- Senior Intercollegiate League (1945-46)
- Ottawa Intercollegiate Hockey League (1960-61)
- International Intercollegiate League (from 1936-37 to 1939-40)
- West Point Weekend
- North American University Hockey Championship
- Ice hockey at the Winter Universiade
Women's ice hockeyEdit
- Montreal Carabins women's ice hockey
- In the domain of ice hockey, this university only fields a women's team as of the 2016-2017 season.