This is a list of ice hockey players who have ancestry in East Asia and/or Southeast Asia.
Players with NHL experienceEdit
|Chris Beckford-Tseu||Goaltender||Chinese and Afro-Jamaican||Canadian||February 21, 2008
(Los Angeles Kings)
|Single game NHL experience on February 21, 2008 for the St. Louis Blues. Currently playing for the Rochester Americans of the AHL.||2008: St. Louis Blues|
|Yutaka Fukufuji||Goaltender||Japanese||Japanese||January 13, 2007
(St. Louis Blues)
|First Japanese-born player to play in the NHL and second Japanese national to be drafted by a NHL team. Has played in a total of four NHL games for the Los Angeles Kings. Currently playing for the Destil Trappers of the Dutch Eredivisie.||2007: Los Angeles Kings|
|Paul Kariya||Left Wing||Japanese and Scottish||Canadian||January 20, 1995
|He scored his first NHL goal on January 27, 1995 against the Winnipeg Jets. Five-time NHL All-Star, Two-time Canadian Olympic Team Member. First player of Asian descent to have captained a NHL team. NHL veteran with over 900 games of experience.||1995–2003: Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
2003–2004: Colorado Avalanche 2005–2007: Nashville Predators 2007–present: St. Louis Blues
|Steve Kariya||Left Wing||Japanese and Scottish||Canadian||He scored his first NHL goal on October 9, 1999 against the Montreal Canadiens. Younger brother of Paul Kariya. Limited NHL experience of 65 games over three seasons. Currently playing for the JYP of the Finnish SM-liiga.||1999–2002: Vancouver Canucks|
|Richard Park||Right Wing||Korean||American||May 3, 1995
|Second South Korean born player to play in the NHL. First player of Korean descent to captain a NHL team. Made his NHL debut and his first NHL assist on May 3, 1995 against the Florida Panthers. NHL veteran with over 530 games of experience. Currently playing for Genève-Servette HC of the Swiss National League A.||1995–1996: Pittsburgh Penguins
1996–1998: Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 1998–1999: Philadelphia Flyers 2001–2004: Minnesota Wild 2005–2006: Vancouver Canucks 2006–2010: New York Islanders
|Raymond Sawada||Right Wing||Japanese and Italian||Canadian||February 19, 2009
|Made his NHL debut on February 19, 2009 for the Dallas Stars. Currently playing for the Texas Stars of the AHL.||2009–present: Dallas Stars|
|Devin Setoguchi||Right Wing||Japanese and Canadian||Canadian||October 29, 2007
|Top line forward for the San Jose Sharks.||2007–present: San Jose Sharks|
|Brandon Yip||Right Wing||Chinese and Irish||Canadian||December 19, 2009
(Columbus Blue Jackets)
|He scored his first NHL goal on December 22, 2009 against Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks.||2009–present: Colorado Avalanche|
Names in italics have won the Stanley Cup.
|Peter Ing||Goaltender||Chinese and Jewish||Canadian||November 16, 1989
(New York Islanders)
|Made his NHL debut/start on November 16, 1989 against the New York Islanders. First NHL win on October 20, 1990 against the Chicago Blackhawks. First NHL shutout on January 28, 1991 against the Minnesota North Stars. 74 games of NHL experience over four seasons.||1989–1991: Toronto Maple Leafs
1991–1992: Edmonton Oilers 1993–1994: Detroit Red Wings
|Larry Kwong||Center||Chinese||Canadian||March 13, 1948
|First Chinese Canadian and first player of Asian descent to play in the NHL. Played in one NHL game for the New York Rangers on March 13, 1948 against the Montreal Canadiens.||1948: New York Rangers|
|Jim Paek||Defense||Korean||Canadian||October 13, 1990
(New York Islanders)
|First South Korean born player to play in the NHL. Retired with over 200 games of experience in four NHL seasons. Two-time Stanley Cup winner with the Pittsburgh Penguins.||1990–1993: Pittsburgh Penguins
1994: Los Angeles Kings 1994–1995: Ottawa Senators
|Jamie Storr||Goaltender||Japanese and Canadian||Canadian||January 24, 1995
|Made his NHL debut/start on January 24, 1995 against the Dallas Stars. First NHL win on January 28, 1995 against the Winnipeg Jets. First NHL shutout on December 22, 1997 against the Chicago Blackhawks. Has over 200 games of NHL experience.||1995–2003: Los Angeles Kings
2003–2004: Carolina Hurricanes
|David Tanabe||Defense||Japanese and American||American||October 7, 1999
|He scored his first NHL goal on October 11, 1999 against Grant Fuhr of the Calgary Flames. Fast skating defensemen with over 400 games of NHL experience. Career was cut short by concussion.||1999–2003: Carolina Hurricanes
2003–2005: Phoenix Coyotes 2005–2006: Boston Bruins 2006–2008: Carolina Hurricanes
|Mike Wong||Center||Chinese and Native American||American||October 11, 1975
(California Golden Seals)
|22 games of NHL experience from one season with the Detroit Red Wings. He scored his first and only goal in the NHL career on April 4, 1976 against Michel Plasse of the Pittsburgh Penguins.||1975–1976: Detroit Red Wings|
Notable players without NHL experienceEdit
- Brandon Wong (Canadian), Center: Born in Canada of Chinese and Canadian parents. Currently playing for the Indy Fuel of the ECHL. Attended Ottawa Senators Training Camp in 2014.
- Torrie Jung, (Canadian), Goaltender: Mixed background of Chinese and Irish. Drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 7th round (183rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Currently playing for the UBC Thunderbirds of the CIS.
- Martin Kariya (Canadian), Center: Younger brother of Paul and Steve Kariya. Mixed background of Japanese and Scottish. Currently playing for the HC Ambri-Piotta of the Swiss NLA.
- Jonathan Matsumoto, (Canadian), Center: Mixed background of Japanese and Canadian. Drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 3rd round (79th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Currently playing for the Adirondack Phantoms of the AHL.
- Hiroyuki Miura, (Japanese), Defence: First Japanese player to be drafted by a NHL team. The Montreal Canadiens chose him in the 11th round (260th overall) of the 1992 NHL Entry Draft. Currently not playing.
- Jomar Cruz, (Canadian), Goaltender: A son of Filipino expatriates in Canada was drafted by the Washington Capitals in the 2nd round (49th overall) of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.
- Frank Joo, (Canadian), Defense: Player of Korean descent was drafted by the Washington Capitals in the 8th round (164th overall) of the 1984 NHL Entry Draft.
- Ryan Kuwabara, (Canadian), Right Wing: Born in Canada of Japanese parents, drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 2nd round (39th overall) of the 1990 NHL Entry Draft.
- Matt Oikawa, (Canadian), Right Wing: Player of Japanese descent was drafted by the Washington Capitals in the 9th round (226th overall) of the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.
- Shim Kyuin, (South Korean), Left Wing: Second Korean-born player to be drafted by a NHL team. The Edmonton Oilers chose him in the 8th round (181st overall) of the 1992 NHL Entry Draft.
- Steve Tsujiura, (Canadian), Center: Player of Japanese descent was drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 10th round (205th overall) of the 1981 NHL Entry Draft.
- Taro Tsujimoto: An imaginary ice hockey player that was legally drafted by the NHL's Buffalo Sabres in the 11th round of the 1974 NHL Entry Draft