This is a list of ice hockey games with the highest attendance on record. All of the games on this list were held in stadiums designed for field sports such as association football, gridiron football, and baseball. Four of the "games" listed were actually doubleheaders, in which a single ticket provided admission to two games held back-to-back. The fixed-roof Ford Field in Detroit hosted one doubleheader and a single game, and another was held at the retractable-roof Veltins-Arena in Gelsenkirchen, Germany (with the roof closed for that game); all other games on the list were held in open-air venues. Most of these games were staged as special events, and all but one were played in the 21st century.
Attendance in the 30,000 range was once quite common for major international matches held outdoors in the 1940s and 50s in Moscow's Lenin Stadium. Figures of this type are still common in bandy, a relative of ice hockey played outdoors.
A new record was set on December 11, 2010, when the University of Michigan's men's ice hockey team faced cross-state rival Michigan State in an event billed as "The Big Chill at the Big House". The game was played at Michigan's football venue, Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, with a capacity of 109,901, as of the 2010 football season. Ultimately, a crowd announced by UM as 113,411, at that time the largest in the stadium's history (including football), saw the homestanding Wolverines win 5–0. Guinness World Records, using a count of ticketed fans who actually entered the stadium instead of UM's figure of tickets sold, announced a final figure of 104,173.
- ↑ Hackel, Stu. "The Morning Skate: Assessing the Winter Classic", The New York Times, 2009-01-02. Retrieved on 2010-05-08.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Janela, Mike (14 December 2010). Highest ice hockey game attendance. guinnessworldrecords.com. Retrieved on 16 December 2010.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Associated Press. "Record crowd watches hockey game", ESPN.com, 2010-12-11. Retrieved on 2010-12-12.
- ↑ Allen, Kevin (2014-01-01). Maple Leafs win Winter Classic in shootout. USA Today. Retrieved on 2014-01-01.
- ↑ Cotsonika, Nick (2014-01-24). NHL won’t get credit for Guinness world record at Winter Classic. Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved on 2014-02-08.
- ↑ "Historic win for Germany", International Ice Hockey Federation, 2010-05-07. Retrieved on 2010-05-07.
- ↑ The USA was the designated home team for this game by IIHF seeding criteria, despite Germany being host of the World Championships.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Finsterwalder, Brandon. "Outdoor hockey game", The Badger Herald, 2001-10-08. Retrieved on 2009-01-14.
- ↑ Burnside, Scott. "Winter Classic: We're live from Buffalo", ESPN.com, 2008-01-01. Retrieved on 2009-01-14.
- ↑ "Kings' Marian Gaborik sends most of 70,205 home unhappy", The LA Times, 2015-02-21. Retrieved on 2015-03-17.
- ↑ Associated Press. "Eric Fehr leads Capitals to victory over Penguins in soggy Winter Classic", ESPN.com, 2011-01-01. Retrieved on 2011-01-01.
- ↑ The Canadian Press. "Fuhr, Ranford shine at Heritage Classic", CBC Sports, 2003-11-22. Retrieved on 2009-01-14.
- ↑ "Can Camp Randall Hockey Classic do it again?". Retrieved on 2013-07-13.
- ↑ "DEL Winter Game bricht Europarekord: 51.125 Zuschauer in Düsseldorf". Retrieved on 2015-01-10. (German)
- ↑ "Deutsche Eishockey-Liga: Nürnberg siegt im "Winter Game"". Retrieved on 2013-07-13. (German)
- ↑ Associated Press. "Rangers turn away Flyers as Mike Rupp, Henrik Lundqvist fuel Winter Classic rally", ESPN.com, 2012-01-02. Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- ↑ Dave Lozo. "Legion of Doom, Parent power Flyers", NHL.com, 2012-12-31. Retrieved on 2011-12-31.
- ↑ "Attendance record shattered in Philly", theahl.com, 2012-01-06. Retrieved on 2012-01-06.
- ↑ "JANUARY 17, 2014 - TCF BANK STADIUM, MINNEAPOLIS", thehockeycityclassic.com, 2014-01-17. Retrieved on 2015-03-23.
- ↑ "Game Summary Blackhawks at Capitals", 2015-01-01. Retrieved on 2015-02-15.
- ↑ "Flames blank Canadiens in NHL Heritage Classic", 2011-02-20. Retrieved on 2012-01-06.
- ↑ Albright, David. "On top of the ol' Tundra, a great day for hockey", ESPN.com, 2006-02-14. Retrieved on 2009-01-14.
- ↑ Burnside, Scott. "Another successful outdoor tilt gives NHL its signature event", ESPN.com, 2009-01-01. Retrieved on 2009-01-14.
- ↑ "Frigid Fenway: College players get thrills, chills in baseball cathedral", CNN, 2010-01-09. Retrieved on 2010-05-08.
- ↑ "Maine 5, New Hampshire 4", uscho.com, 2012-01-07. Retrieved on 2013-07-13.
- ↑ "BC wins second title in three years", ESPN.com, 2010-04-10. Retrieved on 2010-04-10.
- ↑ Tulosseuranta: Jokerit 3–4 HIFK (Finnish). SM-liiga (2011-02-05). Retrieved on 2011-02-16.
- ↑ "Hockey". [dead link]
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at List of ice hockey games with highest attendance. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|