This is a list of drafted Frölunda HC players, players who have been drafted in the National Hockey League (NHL) Entry Draft and played the season prior to the draft for the Frölunda ice hockey organization. There have been 51 players drafted in the NHL Entry Draft from the Frölunda organization. That ranks second in Europe, outranked only by Russian club CSKA Moscow (62 players). Most of the players on this list were drafted from Frölunda's junior team which is the most successful junior team in Sweden, having won more Anton Cups (9) than any other team.
Nine Frölunda players have been selected in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft. The highest draft selection was Fredrik Sjöström, who was drafted eleventh overall in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. The most-recent first-round selections were Erik Karlsson and Anton Gustafsson in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. The most notable players drafted from Frölunda are: defenseman Calle Johansson, who played more the 1100 regular season games in the NHL, Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, who won the Calder Memorial Trophy (NHL Rookie of the Year) in 1996, and three time Vezina Trophy (Top Goalie in the NHL) nominee Henrik Lundqvist.
Two players were drafted as overage players, having played several seasons at a professional level: Ronnie Sundin, drafted by the New York Rangers in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft at age 26, and Jonas Johnson, drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft at age 32. Three pair of siblings have also been drafted: brothers Mikael & Niklas Andersson, and the two sets of twins, Joel & Henrik Lundqvist and Fred & John Wikner.
Drafted players Edit
- ↑ Position; G—Goaltender, D—Defenceman, C—Centre, LW—Left winger, RW—Right winger
- ↑ Nordmark did not sign any contract with Detroit, he became eligible to re-enter the draft after the 1983–84 season. He was later drafted by the St. Louis Blues, 59th overall in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft. This time, Nordmark did not play for Frölunda the season prior to the draft.
- ↑ Pick traded on December 12, 1988, from the New Jersey Devils to the Quebec Nordiques for Tommy Albelin.
- ↑ Tolsa has dual citizenship, Swedish and Finnish.
- ↑ Pick traded on October 13, 1998, from the Calgary Flames to the Philadelphia Flyers for round 3 pick (Patrick Aufiero) in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
- ↑ Pick traded on June 12, 2000, from the Minnesota Wild with round 4 pick (Jarrko Immonen) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft to the Dallas Stars for Manny Fernandez and Brad Lukowich.
- ↑ Pick traded on June 25, 2000, from the Washington Capitals with round 7 pick (Evgeny Fedorov) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft to the Los Angeles Kings for round 5 pick (Alexander Barkunov) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.
- ↑ Pick traded on June 23, 2001, from the Calgary Flames to the Phoenix Coyotes for round 1 pick (Chuck Kobasew) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and round 2 pick (Andrei Taratukhin) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.
- ↑ Steen has dual citizenship, Swedish and Canadian.
- ↑ Starkov, who was born in Russia but grew up in Denmark, was at the time of the draft a Russian citizen. He got his Danish citizenship in 2007.
- ↑ Pick traded on March 9, 2006, from the New Jersey Devils to the New York Islanders for Brad Lukowich. Pick traded on June 24, 2006, from the New York Islanders with round 5 pick (Brett Bennett) to the Phoenix Coyotes for two round 4 picks (Tomas Marcinko and Doug Rogers).
- Player Database. Elite Prospects. Retrieved on June 17, 2007.
- Player Database. Frölunda Hockey Club. Retrieved on June 17, 2007.
- Draft informarion. National Hockey League. Retrieved on June 17, 2007.
- Draft informarion. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on June 17, 2007.
- Official Statistics. Swedish Ice Hockey Association. Retrieved on June 17, 2007.
- Frölunda Five aim to make NHL Draft an Indian summer. Across the Pond. Archived from the original on June 14, 2007. Retrieved on June 17, 2007.
- Szemberg, Szymon . Västra Frölunda 50 År (in Swedish). Sweden: Sportförlaget. ISBN 9789188540348.