The New York Islanders are an American professional ice hockey team based in Uniondale, Long Island, New York. They are members of the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference in the National Hockey League (NHL). The Islanders arrived in Uniondale in 1972, and play their home games at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
The franchise has had 12 team captains in its history. Ed Westfall, the team's first, won the Bill Masterton Trophy during his Islanders captaincy; Michael Peca, who won the Frank J. Selke Trophy after the 2001–02 season, is the only other captain to have won an award during his term. Denis Potvin had the longest captaincy, from 1979 through 1987, during which he played 521 regular season games. Bryan McCabe served the shortest length of time—56 regular season games. Bill Guerin, traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins mid-season in 2009, is the team's most recent captain. Just prior to the start of the 2009-10 season, the Islanders named Doug Weight their 12th team captain.
The Islanders did not assign a new captain for the 1996–97 season after previous captain, Patrick Flatley, was released from his contract. The Islanders also didn't name a captain for the 2000–01 season, for unknown reasons. Despite the 2004–05 NHL Lockout, Michael Peca's term as captain was still valid. Though allowed in the NHL, the Islanders have never given a goaltender the captaincy. There have been only three Islanders' players to hold the captaincy for a single season—Bryan McCabe, Trevor Linden, and Kenny Jonsson—none of whom made it to the playoffs during their term.
|PIM||Penalty in minutes|
|Captain||Pos||Term||Regular season stats||Playoff stats||Ref|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ed Westfall. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Michael Peca. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Denis Potvin. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Bryan McCabe. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Penguins hoping Guerin can help. ESPN (2009-03-04). Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Stephenson, Colin (1996-07-10). Isles say buy to Flatley. Daily News. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Logan, Greg (2009-03-05). Islanders deal Guerin to Penguins for draft pick. Newsday. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Trevor Linden. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Kenny Johnsson. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Clark Gillies. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Brent Sutter. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Patrick Flatley. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Alexei Yashin. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Bill Guerin. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2009-07-19.
- ↑ Doug Weight. The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved on 2010-01-05.
|New York Islanders|
|The franchise||Franchise • Expansion draft • Seasons • Records • Draft picks • GMs • Award winners • Head coaches|
|Arenas||Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum • Barclays Center|
|Retired numbers||5 • 9 • 19 • 22 • 23 • 31|
|Affiliates||Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) • Missouri Mavericks (ECHL)|
|Rivals||New York Rangers • Philadelphia Flyers • New Jersey Devils|
|Stanley Cup Finals (5)||Won: 1980 • 1981 • 1982 • 1983 • Lost: 1984|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at List of New York Islanders team captains. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|