Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
205 lb (93 kg)
| NHL Team|
| Dallas Stars|
Jokerit, Atlanta Thrashers
|Born|| November 16 1983,|
|NHL Draft|| 2nd overall, 2002|
|Pro Career||2004 – present|
Kari Lehtonen (born November 16, 1983 in Helsinki, Finland) is a Finnish professional ice hockey goaltender. He was drafted 2nd overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft by the Atlanta Thrashers. In 2001, as the youngest goalie in the SM-liiga, he earned the league's playoff MVP award, while he was playing for Jokerit.
During the 2003-2004 NHL season he played four games for the Thrashers, winning all four of them and posting one shutout. On opening night of the 2005-2006 season, Lehtonen suffered a serious groin injury when Florida Panthers center Nathan Horton collided with Lehtonen. The injury sidelined him for 35 games. Lehtonen was once again injured on April 6 2006 when Tampa Bay Lightning forward Chris Dingman collided with him. Lehtonen tried to get to his feet but sprained his ankle in the process.
AirTran Airways, a low-cost airline with an Atlanta hub with more than 250 departures per day, signed Kari Lehtonen as an endorser for the 2006-2007 season.
On April 12th, 2007, Lehtonen was the starting goaltender for the Thrashers in their first NHL playoff game.
- Urpo Ylönen trophy for best SM-liiga goaltender - 2002 and 2003
- Jari Kurri trophy for best player during the playoffs - 2002
- Best Goalie in the Ice Hockey World Championships in Moscow 2007
- Silver Medal for Hockey World Championships -2007
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader for games played by a goaltender (110).
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader for victories (58).
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader shutouts (7).
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader for games played by a goaltender in a single season (68).
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader for saves in a single season (1,892).
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader for shutouts in a single season (4).
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader for starts in a single season (66).
- Atlanta Thrashers franchise leader for minutes played in a single season (3,934).
- He had a depiction of Lil Jon, who is an avid Thrashers fan, on his helmet.
- In the past, Lehtonen has worn a helmet featuring characters Yuna and Rikku from the video game Final Fantasy X-2.
- Lehtonens boyhood hero is retired Finnish goaltender Jarmo Myllys.
- Lehtonens current mask features Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu's characters from Kill Bill.
- Kari Lehtonen's NHL player profile
- Kari Lehtonen's career stats at The Internet Hockey Database
- Kari Lehtonen on nhlfinns.com
- Kari Lehtonen an unofficial website
|Winner of the Urpo Ylönen trophy|
2001-02 & 2002-03
| Succeeded by|
|Winner of the Jari Kurri trophy|
| Succeeded by|
|Winner of the Kalen Kannu|
| Succeeded by|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Kari Lehtonen. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|