Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
ISO 639-1:2002, Codes for the representation of names of languages — Part 1: Alpha-2 code, is the first part of the ISO 639 series of international standards for language codes. Part 1 covers the registration of two-letter codes. There are 136 two-letter codes registered. The registered codes cover the world's major languages.
These codes are a useful international, and formal, shorthand for indicating languages. For example:
- English is represented by en
- French is represented by fr
- German is represented by de (from the endonym Deutsch)
- Japanese is represented by ja (even though its endonym is Nihongo)
- Portuguese is represented by pt
- Spanish is represented by es (from the endonym español)