Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
George Matthews is the radio play-by-play announcer for the Columbus Blue Jackets, an NHL franchise. He has held this position since the team's inaugural 2000-01 season. He hails from Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Entering his 30th season of hockey broadcasting, he is known for his passionate broadcast style and also his penchant for rhyme.
He can currently be heard on the Blue Jackets Radio Network through flagship stations WBNS (AM 1460) and WWCD (FM 101.1).
In addition to calling play-by-play action, he also is a regular contributor to the "Between the Pipes" radio show that airs weekly on WBNS during the hockey season.
Matthews' trademark is his ability for improvised rhyme. Some examples:
- "Hey hey, whaddya say?" - in reference to an exceptional play.
Referring to SkatersEdit
- "What a steal, that's the deal!"
- "Jumpin' Jack Flash, Rick Nash!"
- "Ka-Ching It's CASH, RICK NAAAAAAASH!"
- "Nick! (Nikolai Zherdev) with the flick for the Jackets!"
Matthews is also known for referring to a goal as "burying the biscuit" or "burying the stash" (specifically when referring to left winger Rick Nash).
Referring to GoaltendersEdit
- "Holy Moley, what a goalie!"
- "Return to sender! What a 'tender!"
- "Jim dandy, Mr. Handy!"
- "Goodness Gracious, Leclaire's Sensatious!"
- "Norrena is showing to be a whopper of a stopper tonight!"
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at George Matthews (broadcaster). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|