The Edinburgh Trophy (also known as the Edinburgh Cup) was donated by HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh in 1954. He was (and is) the husband of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who is the Queen of Great Britain and also of Canada.
It was to be awarded to the top minor professional team in Canada. In actual fact it given to the winner of a series between the champions of the Quebec Hockey League and the Western Hockey League (minor pro).
The first series was held in 1954. After 1957 the series was discontinued. The Western Hockey League (minor pro) did not believe that the Quebec Hockey League was up to its standard. There was also increasing competition from the television broadcasts of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
List of ChampionsEdit
- 1953-54 Calgary Stampeders
- 1954-55 Shawinigan Falls Cataractes
- 1955-56 Winnipeg Warriors
- 1956-57 Quebec Aces
List of SeriesEdit
- 1953-54 Edinburgh Trophy Final
- 1954-55 Edinburgh Trophy Final
- 1955-56 Edinburgh Trophy Final
- 1956-57 Edinburgh Trophy Final