| ECAC West|
NCAA Division III Conference
|Number of teams:|| Men: 8|
|Defending champions (men):||Hobart Statesmen|
|Defending champions (women):||RIT Tigers|
|Website:|| Men: http://www.ecacdiiihockey.com/mens_west|
The men's conference was essentially folded into the United Collegiate Hockey Conference men's conference which was announced in early October 2016 when the conference was formed from all of the membership of the men's conference. Later in October three of the league members then announced they were going to be part of the newly formed Middle Atlantic Conferences which is also slated to start play with the 2017-18 season. Lebanon Valley, Manhattanville, and Stevenson are all scheduled to join that new conference.
The formation of the conference decimated the women's conference taking in all but the State University of New York Athletic Conference members. On June 15, 2017 it was announced that the five remaining members of the women's conference would form the Northeast Women's Hockey League for the 2017-18 season
Final Men's MembershipEdit
Final Women's MembershipEdit
In 2005, the RIT men's team left the ECAC West to become a Men's Division I program (now in Atlantic Hockey); the RIT women's team joined from the ECAC East in 2007. The Oswego Lakers women's team was created in 2006. The Potsdam Bears women's team was created in 2008.
In 2010, the Lebanon Valley Flying Dutchmen, which had joined the men's ECAC West in 2006, announced that they would move their ice hockey program from the NCAA to the ACHA. In 2011, the Nazareth Golden Flyers announced they would start a men's hockey program starting in 2012, and they have applied to join the ECAC West and were accepted for the 2012-13 season.
Early in 2015 the men's conference announced the addition of the Stevenson Mustangs and the return of the Lebanon Valley Flying Dutchmen for the 2016-17 season. The conference would thus become eligible for an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, possilby as early as 2017-18. The Stevenson women's team had played as an independent until joining the Colonial Hockey Conference for the 2015-16 season. Lebanon Valley is adding women's ice hockey for the 2016-17 season. As of the announcement no conference afffiliation was announced for the women's team.
The Women's conference was formed for the 2001-02 season.
Men's Conference SeasonsEdit
note: Have incomplete information on all seasons prior to 1998-99.
The 1986-87 National Championship won by the Plattsburgh Cardinals was later vacated by the NCAA Committee on Infractions
Pre-league play tournament championsEdit
- 1978 Elmira Soaring Eagles
- 1979 Middlebury Panthers
- 1980 Oswego Great Lakers
- 1981 Plattsburgh Cardinals
- 1982 Plattsburgh Cardinals
- 1983 Oswego Great Lakers
- 1984 RIT Tigers
- 2001 The conference is formed with the existing Division III Independent teams of Buffalo State Bengals and Cortland Red Dragons and the following new programs Elmira Soaring Eagles, Neumann Knights, Plattsburgh Cardinals, and Utica Pioneers
- 2002 Chatham Cougars join the conference after playing as a Division III Independent from 1998 to 2001
- 2006 Oswego Great Lakers join the conference as a new program
- 2007 The RIT Tigers join the conference from the ECAC East
- 2008 Potsdam Bears join the conference as a new program
- 2012 The RIT Tigers leave the conference when the join Division I's College Hockey America
- 2014 The William Smith Herons join the conference as a new program
- 2017 The Chatham Cougars, Elmira Soaring Eagles, Neumann Knights, Utica Pioneers, and William Smith Herons leave the conference for the newly form United Collegiate Hockey Conference. The Hobart Statesmen later announce that they are withdrawing from the UCHC and joining the New England Hockey Conference for the 2017-18 season. The remaining five teams formed the Northeast Women's Hockey League for the 2017-18 season