| 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
190 lb (86 kg)
|NHL Team||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|Born|| September 22 1987,|
Hull, QC, CAN
|NHL Draft|| 6th overall, 2006|
Columbus Blue Jackets
|Pro Career||2006 – present|
Brassard was selected in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft by the Columbus Blue Jackets with the 6th overall pick. Considered one of the better skaters in the 2006 Entry Draft by both NHL Central Scouting and the International Scouting Service, Brassard is said to be a "great playmaker that can score as well." In his first month with the Blue Jackets' farm team, the Syracuse Crunch, he was named rookie of the month. While a broken jaw sidelined him for two months, he continued to tear up the American Hockey League (AHL).
Brassard was recalled to Columbus on January 10, 2008.
After playing 17 games with the Blue Jackets (registering one goal and one assist), Brassard was quietly sent back to the Crunch on February 27, totaling 26 points upon his return to finish the regular season.
In an attempt to assure himself a roster spot for the 2008–09 season, Brassard, among several other players, spent the 2008 offseason in Columbus with the Blue Jackets personal training staff, just as Jared Boll had done the previous offseason. Brassard made the team out of camp for 2008–09, and performed remarkably well, being named NHL Rookie of the Month for October 2008 with the most points by any NHL rookie, closely followed by linemate and fellow Jackets first round draft pick Jakub Voráček.
On December 18, 2008, Brassard was injured during the first period of Columbus' 6-5 shootout loss at the Dallas Stars during a fight with the Stars' rookie winger James Neal. In the fight, he suffered a dislocated shoulder and had to undergo surgery. At the time of his injury, Brassard had 10 goals, 15 assists, with 17 PIM and a +/- rating +12 in 31 games, leading the NHL in rookie scoring.
Achievements and awardsEdit
- 2003-04, U17 WHC Bronze Medal
- 2004-05, CHL All-Rookie Team
- 2004-05, QMJHL All-Rookie Team
- 2004-05, QMJHL Offensive Rookie of the Year (Michel Bergeron Trophy)
- 2004-05, QMJHL Rookie of the Year
- 2004-05, U18 WJC Silver Medal
- 2005-06, CHL Second All-Star Team
- 2005-06, QMJHL Best Professional Prospect (Mike Bossy Trophy)
- 2005-06, QMJHL First All-Star Team
- 2007-08, AHL All-Star Game
- 2008-09, NHL Rookie Of The Month (10/08)
|2007–08||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||17||1||1||2||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||31||10||15||25||17||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||79||9||27||36||48||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||74||17||30||47||55||—||—||—||—||—|
- ↑ TSN: Blue Jackets' Brassard named Rookie of the Month for October. TSN.ca. Retrieved on 2008-11-06.
- Derick Brassard's career stats at The Internet Hockey Database
- Derick Brassard's Player Profile
- Derick Brassard's Golf Tournament
|Columbus Blue Jackets first round draft pick|
| Succeeded by|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Derick Brassard. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|