Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|College Hockey East|
|Established||1971 as WPIHA 2002 as CHE;
previously was WPCHA and WPIHA
|Sport||ACHA Division 2/3 club hockey|
|States||3 - Pennsylvania, New York,
|Commissioner||Charles R. Kuzniewski II|
College Hockey East (CHE) is a mixed ACHA Division 2 and Division 3 league for universities in the Western Pennsylvania region. ACHA D3 gives small schools the opportunity to compete in college hockey, while other universities field D2 and D3 teams as JV teams for their ACHA D1 or D2 teams.
The league began in 1971 under the name Western Pennsylvania Intercollegiate Hockey Association (WPIHA). The WPIHA renamed the Western Pennsylvania Collegiate Hockey Association (WPCHA) a couple of years later, and this name lasted until the end of the 2002 season when the league was renamed to College Hockey East, reflecting the growth of the league outside of Pennsylvania. Historically, membership in CHE has been fluid, with many teams coming and going over the years. Some programs have become more prominent, whereas others have folded completely or scaled back dramatically. However, under the current leadership, CHE has established itself as a premier ACHA DIII conference, and members are more committed to staying. Pitt Johnstown has the longest continuous tenure in CHE, followed by IUP's second team and St. Vincent; the three of them joined CHE in the mid-to-late 1990s. The other teams have joined since 2000 or have had some interruption in their membership.
A varying number of teams compete in two or three divisions each year. In addition, there are some years where CHE has schools being evaluated for full membership which are known as provisional members.
- California University of PA (Division 3)
- Penn State Behrend (Division 3)
- Robert Morris University II (Division 3)
- University of Pittsburgh II (Division 2)
- Fredonia State University ACHA (Division 3)
- Penn State Altoona (Division 3)
- University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown (Division 3)
- Saint Vincent College (Division 3)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania II (Division 2)
- West Virginia University II (Division 2)
- Note: When additional descriptions are provided, the team is not the highest-level team at the university. Ex: "ACHA" - team fields an NCAA team; "II" - the team is the second-tier club team. ACHA division in parenthesis.
- Currently in the College Hockey Association (non-ACHA)
- Allegheny College
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Community College of Allegheny County
- Currently in College Hockey Mid-America (ACHA D1)
- IUP I
- University of Pittburgh I
- Slippery Rock
- Washington and Jefferson
- West Virginia I
- Youngstown State
- Elsewhere in the ACHA
- Robert Morris I (ECHL - ACHA D1)
- Penn State II (MACHA - ACHA D2)
- Gannon University (Independent - ACHA D3)
- Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- Lock Haven University
- Penn State West (comprising several branch campus of Penn State)
- St. Francis University
- Westminster College