This is the 2017 Russ Barnes Trophy tournament. The tournament is to determine the Alberta Junior B Provincial champion. The tournament winner will advance to the 2017 Keystone Cup being held in Arborg, Manitoba hosted by the Arborg Ice Dawgs.
The event is being hosted by the St. Paul Canadiens of the North Eastern Alberta Junior B Hockey League as part of the teams 75th anniversary season. The event will be staged at the Clancy Richards Arena and possibly the nearby Cap Arena. The staging of the 8 team tournament requires two sheets of ice.
- Host: St. Paul Canadiens
and the league champions of
- Calgary Junior Hockey League: CBHA Rangers
- North Eastern Alberta Junior B Hockey League:Wainwright Bisons
- North West Junior Hockey League: Fairview Flyers
and the playoff champion and runner-up of
- Capital Junior Hockey League: Wetaskiwin Icemen and Beaumont Chiefs
- Heritage Junior B Hockey League: Red Deer Vipers
- and Cochrane Generals
The teams will be divided up into 2 four team pool and play a single round robin within the pool. The first place team from one pool plays the second place team from the other pool in the semifinals. The semifinal winners meet in the championship game for the Russ Barnes Trophy and a spot in the Keystone Cup and the semifinal losers meet in the consolation game.
- Beaumont Chiefs defeated Cochrane Generals 6-5
- Wetaskiwin Icemen defeated CBHA Rangers 10-0
- Wainwright Bisons defeated Fairview Flyers 7-3
- Red Deer Vipers defeated St. Paul Canadiens 4-2
- Wainwright Bisons defeated Beaumont Chiefs 11-2
- Wetaskiwin Icemen defeated Red Deer Vipers 2-1
- CBHA Rangers defeated St. Paul Canadiens 7-3
- Cochrane Generals defeated Fairview Flyers 3-2
- Red Deer Vipers defeated CBHA Rangers 3-2
- Cochrane Generals defeated Wainwright Bisons 2-0
- St. Paul Canadiens defeated Wetaskiwin Icemen 7-5
- Fairview Flyers defeated Cochrane Generals 8-3