The following ciricumstances negate the need for the qualifier:
- The Bouctouche JCs are hosting the 2017 tournament and automatically qualify as host team.
- There are no registered Senior AAA teams from the province of Quebec; traditionally Hockey Canada awards the unused spot to the host branch (New Brunswick)
- The only three other teams in the province of New Brunswick that are registered Senior AAA are all members of the North East Senior Hockey League. They are the Elsipogtog Hawks, the Lameque Au Ptit Mousse, and the Restigouche North Vikings. The Lameque Au Ptit Mousse won a playoff tournament in December and qualified for the Allan Cup in the Quebec spot.
- There are also no registered Senior AAA teams in the provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
- The Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts won the 2016 Herder Memorial Trophy to become the Newfoundland and Labrador senior hockey champion and earn the province's spot in the 2017 Atlantic Region Allan Cup Qualifier. But since the team that wins the New Brunswick championship would already qualify for the Allan Cup and there are no other teams from the other two provinces in the region the Cataracts already qualify for the Allan Cup