|2017–18 NHL season|
|League||National Hockey League|
|Duration||October 4, 2017 – June 2018|
The 2017–18 NHL season will be the 101st season of operation (100th season of play) of the National Hockey League. With the addition of a new expansion team, the Vegas Golden Knights, 31 teams will compete in an 82-game regular season. The regular season will begin on October 4, 2017, and will end on April 7, 2018. The 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs will then begin a few days afterwards, with the Stanley Cup Finals held in early June.
- The Vegas Golden Knights are added to the league as an expansion team becoming the league's 31st member.
2018 Winter OlympicsEdit
The NHL decided on April 3, 2017 that the league will not change its schedule to accommodated players being able to play in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The NHL had shut down the league for the previous five Olympic games. Several players have vowed to participate anyway, most notably Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin; provided the teams that hold their contracts do not object to each player's participation, the options the league has for stopping players from participating without running afoul of the National Hockey League Players' Association are limited, and the league has not yet prescribed any potential punishment for such a scenario.
All Star GameEdit
The 63rd National Hockey League All-Star Game will be held in Tampa, Florida at Amalie Arena, home of the Tampa Bay Lightning, on January 28, 2018. The format will not change and will follow the format used in two previous All-Star games.
The NHL's centennial commemorations will continue into the 2017–18 season, as its 100th season of play. On March 17, 2017, the NHL announced that it would hold an outdoor game between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens on December 16, 2017 to mark the 100th anniversary of their inaugural NHL game. The Toronto Maple Leafs will host the Carolina Hurricanes on December 19 at the start time of 2 p.m. to mark the 100th anniversary of the first NHL game played by their predecessor franchise, the Toronto Arenas.
Pre-season games in ChinaEdit
Two regular season games will be played in Stockholm, Sweden as part of the 2017 SAP NHL Global Series, the league announced on March 24, 2017. The games will be played between the Colorado Avalanche and the Ottawa Senators at the Ericsson Globe on November 10 and 11, 2017. This is the first NHL game to be held outside North America since the 2011 NHL Premiere contest.
- The 100 Classic will be held on December 16, 2017 at TD Place Stadium in Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, featuring the Montreal Canadiens against the Ottawa Senators.
- The Winter Classic will be held on January 1, 2018 at Citi Field in Flushing, New York, with the New York Rangers playing the Buffalo Sabres.
- The Stadium Series will be held on March 3, 2018 at Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Maryland, featuring two of last seasons playoff teams, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Washington Capitals.
- The Detroit Red Wings will move to Little Caesars Arena, replacing their longtime home, the Joe Louis Arena.
- The Vegas Golden Knights will play their inaugural season at T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada.
- The Winnipeg Jets home arena was renamed from MTS Centre to Bell MTS Place following Bell Mobility's acquisition of previous rights holders, Manitoba Telecom Services.
- ↑ Evgeni Malkin follows Ovechkin 2018 Olympics plans (April 6, 2017). Retrieved on June 13, 2017.
- ↑ How the NHL can prevent players from going to Olympics. Retrieved on April 4, 2017.
- ↑ 2018 NHL All-Star Game to be played at Tampa Bay (May 30, 2017). Retrieved on June 9, 2017.
- ↑ NHL, NHLPA announce team payroll range for 2017–18 (June 18, 2017). Retrieved on June 20, 2017.
- ↑ NHL salary cap to increase to $75 million (June 18, 2017). Retrieved on June 20, 2017.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Senators to host Canadiens in outdoor NHL game Dec. 16 at TD Place. Retrieved on March 18, 2017.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Senators Dec. 16 outdoor game against Canadiens caps off big anniversary year. Postmedia Network. Retrieved on March 18, 2017.
- ↑ Leafs to open 2017-18 season in Winnipeg. Toronto Star. Retrieved on June 22, 2017.
- ↑ Kings, Canucks will play preseason games in China (March 30, 2017). Retrieved on April 26, 2017.
- ↑ NHL (March 24, 2017). Senators, Avalanche to play two games in Sweden. Press release.
- ↑ NHL Winter Classic to feature Rangers, Sabres at Citi Field (May 9, 2017). Retrieved on May 10, 2017.
- ↑ Benjamin, Cody. "Sabres 'hosting' 2018 Winter Classic vs. Rangers reportedly saves MSG $40M", May 12, 2017. Retrieved on May 15, 2017.
- ↑ Maple Leafs, Capitals to play in Stadium Series at U.S. Naval Academy (May 29, 2017). Retrieved on May 30, 2017.
- ↑ Red Wings' new home: Little Caesars Arena (April 28, 2016). Retrieved on March 21, 2017.
- ↑ MTS Centre, Iceplex renamed following Bell takeover of MTS (en). The Canadian Press (May 30, 2017). Retrieved on June 1, 2017.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 2017-18 NHL Season. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|