This is the 2016-17 USPHL Elite Division season. This is the league's fourth season
- The league added a team from China called Team Beijing. The team is based out of East Meadow, New York
- The league added the Stamford, Connecticut based Connecticut Jr Rangers and the Brooklyn based New York Jr. Aviators who had previous teams at other levels of the USPHL
- The East Coast Eagles were renamed the Carolina Eagles
- The Rochester Jr. Americans were replaced by the Rochester Monarchs
- After withdrawing after one game for 2015-16; the Roswell Bulldogs do not return
- The Portland Jr. Pirates and the Providence Capitals both withdraw from the junior level to focus on the youth level
- The Illiana Blackbirds announced that they would withdraw for the 2016-17 season when owner and head coach Reid Simpson was named an assistant coach with the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL and there was insuffient time to get a new head coach in place in time to properly prepare for the season. Simpson announced the intention for the team to return for the 2017-18 season.
- The SCV Magicians announced they were relocating on July 28, 2016 to River Falls, Wisconsin and would be renamed the River Falls Renegades.
- The Connecticut Jr Rangers withdrew on September 1, 2016 apparently due to a lack of players
The USPHL announced that the Wisconsin Rapids RiverKings would play the Chicago Cougars in the USPHL's 2nd Heritage Classic on February 6, 2017. The game will be held at MB Financial Park at Rosemont in Rosemont, Illinois. All proceeds from the game will benefit former Cougars defenseman Matt Olson who was seriously injured during a game during the 2015-16 season.
To be added upon completion of the regular season
To be determined