Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is the 2016-17 Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League season. This is the league's 11th season.
On November 15, 2016; two members of the ownership and a third staff member of the Orangeville Ice Crushers were arrested for allegedly being part of a marijuana distribution ring Orangeville Ice Crushers were arrested for allegedly being part of a marijuana distribution ring. Later that evening the league commisioner and president directed both members of the team ownership to step away from team activities until further notice. Another team owner, Jeff Oliver was directed to take over operations of the team and serve as coach and general manager for the team.
- On March 9, 2016 the league president announced that the Bobcaygeon Storm, Coldwater Falcons, Grey County Grizzlies, and Haliburton Wolves would no longer be members of the league.
- The Beamsville based Lincoln Mavericks and Tilsonburg Hurricanes were added as expansion teams
- The Alliston Coyotes were renamed the New Tecumseth Civics
- The Colborne Chiefs were renamed the Northumberland Stars after being sold
- The Sturgeon Falls Lumberjacks were renamed the West Nipissing Lynx
- The Grey Highlands Bravehearts moved to Wiarton, Ontario and were renamed the Wiarton Rock
- The Halton Ravens moved to St. George, Ontario and were renamed the St. George Ravens
- The Norfolk Vikings and the Shelburne Sharks were both reported to be on hiatus with Shelburne more likely to have folded
- The Toronto Blue Ice Jets quietly folded just prior to the start of the 2016-17 season
- The Bracebridge Blues were quietly dropped from the schedule after forfeiting an October 9, 2016 game to Wiarton. At the time of leaving the league the team had a 0 win 6 loss record (including the forfeit) with 15 goals scored and 71 goals allowed
- The Komoka Dragons were officially announced as folded on October 21, 2016. The Dragons had a record of 3-10-0 (including two forfeits) with 60 goals for and 70 goals against.
- The Lincoln Mavericks ceased operations on November 21, 2016. The team's final record was 3-13-3 with 57 goals for and 101 goals allowed. The team had stared off with a 3-1-2 record and then went on a 13 game winless streak prior to folding after their final game on November 18th.
- According a report on thejuniorhockeynews.com website, the league is apparently adding a team in Fergus, Ontario for the 2017-18 seaon that will be named the Fergus Force. Fergus last had junior hockey in 2014-15 when the Fergus Devils played in the Georgian Mid-Ontario Junior C Hockey League prior to taking a leave of absence for 2015-16 and then not returning for the 2016-17 season.
All Star GameEdit
The league announced on November 28, 206 that the annual All Star Game would be held in Tilsonburg and be held at the Tilsonburg Community Centre hosted by the Tilsonburg Hurricanes on January 10, 2017. The game will feature a Team North American vs Team World format with a skills competition held during the intermission breaks.
Fold During SeasonEdit
|Bracebridge Blues||2012||Bracebridge||Bracebridge Memorial Arena|
|Komoka Dragons||2015||Komoka||Komoka Wellness & Recreation Complex|
|Lincoln Mavericks||2016||Beamsville||Fleming Centre|
To be added upon completion of the regular season.
To be announced