Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is the 2016-17 ECHL season. This is the league's 29th season.
- The Evansville IceMen announced they would be moving to Owensboro, Kentucky for the 2016-17 season, However, the arena would require renovations and the league approved a one year hiatus along with the relocation. Evansville was awarded an expansion team in the Southern Professional Hockey League for the 2016-17 season. The future of the team is now uncertain after the city had objected to the cost of a proposed new arena and the team declined to foot the bill for the renovations at the Owensboro Sportscenter
- The league announced the approval of an expansion team for Worcester, Massachusetts to play out of the DCU Center for the 2017-18 season. The team will be named the Worcester Railers HC.
- The league received an application from a group in Portland, Maine for an expansion team to replace their departed American Hockey League Portland Pirates. The application was for an expansion team but the group was also working on securing a relocated team if possible. The time frame for the addition of Portland was also for the 2017-18 season. Apparently, as of early December 2016 not enough investors have come forward and the application must be addressed at the January 2017 Board of Governors meeting.
- Interest has also been received from the city of Prescott Valley, Arizona which had previously had a team (Arizona Sundogs) in the Central Hockey League from 2006 to 2014 and then suspended operations in the months leading up to the ECHL/CHL merger in the fall of 2014. When the team had suspended operations in August of 2014 the ownership stated it was hoping to return to the then CHL for 2015-16.
- The Missouri Mavericks, who play in the Kansas City suburb of Independence, may be moving up to the American Hockey League or be forced out of business for the 2017-18. Several reports have indicated that the St. Louis Blues may be purchasing an AHL franchise to be moved to Kansas City, Missouri's Sprint Center. The Blues affiliation agreement with the Chicago Wolves ends after the 2016-17 season. Reports in early 2016 had previously indicated that the ownership (Lamar Hunt, Jr.) of the Mavericks have shown interest in building a smaller arena on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metro area that would become home to a USHL team.
- The league Board of Governors voted to change rule #81 Icing- In addition to not being permitted to make player substitutions, the offending team on an icing violation also may not use its team time-out.
2016-17 League alignmentEdit
- An asterisk (*) denotes a franchise move. See the respective team articles for more information.
To be added upon completion of the regular season.
Kelly Cup PlayoffsEdit
The league did not announce any changes in the format for the playoffs. The top four teams in each division qualify for the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs would be within the division with the match ups being 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. with the first round winners meeting in the diviosion final. The two division champions meet for the conference championship and the conference champions meeting for the Kelly Cup. All four rounds of the playoffs are best-of-sev