This is the 2016-17 Big Ten Conference men's ice hockey season. This is the conference's 4th season.
- None, however the University of Notre Dame announced that the men's hockey program will leave Hockey East after the 2016-17 season and join the Big Ten Conference as an associate member for men's ice hockey only.
|University of Notre Dame||South Bend, Indiana||Fighting Irish||Compton Family Ice Arena|
(Charles W. "Lefty" Smith Jr. Rink)
overall records to be added upon completion of the NCAA Tournament
|Big Ten Conference||Overall Record|
|Minnesota Golden Gophers||20||14||5||1||79||58||43|
|Ohio State Buckeyes||20||11||8||2||76||62||35|
|Penn State Nittany Lions||20||10||9||1||71||63||31|
|Michigan State Spartans||20||3||14||4||47||74||13|
All teams qualify. All rounds are single game "sudden death" The top two seeds draw a first round bye and 3 plays 6 and 4 plays five in the quarterfinals at the home rink of the higher seed. The top seed plays the lowest seeded first round winner and the second seed plays the other quarterfinal winner in the semifinals. The semifinal winners meet for the conference championship and the conference's automatic bid to the 2017 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
- Ohio State Buckeyes defeated Michigan State Spartans 6-3
- Penn State Nittany Lions defeated Michigan Wolverines 4-1
- Penn State Nittany Lions defeated Minnesota Golden Gophers 4-3 (2ot)
- Wisconsin Badgers defeated Ohio State Buckeyes 2-1