This is the 2016-17 American collegiate hockey season.
NCAA Division IEdit
No division I schools changed conferences for the 2016-17 season.
- But the Notre Dame Fighting Irish men's hockey program announced that it would become an associate member of the Big Ten Conference for men's ice hockey only for the 2017-18 season.
- On July 13, 2016 the Minnesota State University, Mankato president Richard Davenport announced the school had filed an application to join the National Collegiate Hockey Conference in July of 2016 as the school was exploring all options available for the good of the school and the hockey program. The WCHA acknowledged the school's intentions and respected the fact that the school kept the WCHA in the loop on the process. The team is believed to be joining the NCHC for the 2018-19 season along with the Arizona State Sun Devils Men's Ice Hockey program. Both teams were denied admission at this point in time to the NCHC.
- An ongoing budget crisis in the state of Alaska has created the possibility of the state's two division I schools Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks and Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves either having funding drasticly cut, the programs being merged into one, one program being eliminated, or both programs being eliminated for the 2017-18 season.
- The Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) also approved coaches challenges to offsides on a goal or too many men on the ice calls when a goal is scored.
- The challenges are not allowed in the last two minutes of regulation or overtime as those reviews can only be initiated by the officials.
- Coaches challenges are not used in the post season as all post tournament plays are reviewed anyway
- The PROP approved the use of 3-on-3 play in overtime after 5 minutes of 5-on-5 play. (any game that goes to overtime or shootout is and has been viewed as a tie by the NCAA for record purposes)
- The Ice Hockey Rules Committee (IHRC) had recomended the use of 4-on-4 play for five minutes of overtime then 5 minutes of 3-on-3 play but the motion was tabled by the PROP
- Officials and players must wear helmets on ice except for the playing of the National Anthem
- 2016-17 Atlantic Hockey Season
- 2016-17 Big Ten Season
- 2016-17 ECAC Men's Season
- 2016-17 Hockey East Men's Ice Hockey Season
- 2016-17 NCHC Season
- 2016-17 WCHA Men's Season
- Arizona State University (added varsity hockey to its athletic program for the 2015-16 season) they played a hybrid schedule between the ACHA and NCAA for 2015-16, they are playing an independent Division I schedule for 2016-17 and are hoping to join a conference for 2017-18. The team was approved for membership in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference for either the 2017-18 or 2018-19 season. The school ended up with a record of 5-22-2 against NCAA D-I and D-III schools for 2015-16.
- 2016-17 College Hockey America Season
- 2016-17 ECAC Women's Season
- 2016-17 Hockey East Women's Ice Hockey Season
- 2016-17 WCHA Women's Season
- 2016-17 CCC Season
- 2016-17 ECAC West Men's Season
- 2016-17 MASCAC Season
- 2016-17 MIAC Men's Season
- 2016-17 NCHA Men's Season
- 2016-17 NEHC Men's Season
- 2016-17 NESCAC Men's Season
- 2016-17 NE10 Season
- 2016-17 SUNYAC Season
- 2016-17 WIAC Men's Season
- 2016-17 NCAA D-III Men's Independents
- 2016-17 CHC Season
- 2016-17 ECAC West Women's Season
- 2016-17 MIAC Women's Season
- 2016-17 NCHA Women's Season
- 2016-17 NEHC Women's Season
- 2016-17 NESCAC Women's Season
- 2016-17 WIAC Women's Season