Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is the 2016-17 American Hockey League season. This is the league's 81st season. Each of the league's 5 California based teams and the Tucson Roadrunners will play a 68 game schedule while the remaining 24 members will play a 76 game schedule.
- The Springfield Falcons franchise was purchased by the Arizona Coyotes organization and moved to Tucson, Arizona and were renamed the Tucson Roadrunners. The team will be based out of the Tucson Convention Center.
- Shortly after the sale and relocation of the Falcons was announced the Portland Pirates were sold to a group based in Springfield, Massachusetts who relocated the team to the city to replace the Falcons. The team was announced as being named the Springfield Thunderbirds.
- On July 11, 2016, the league's Board of Governors unanimously approved the relocation of the Montreal Canadiens owned St. John's IceCaps to the Place Bell in Laval, Quebec for the 2017-18 season. The team will then become known as the Laval Rocket. Efforts are being made to try to land a new team for St. John's in either the AHL or another league
- On August 9, 2016, the defending Calder Cup champion Lake Erie Monsters announced they were changing there name to the Cleveland Monsters.
- On September 26, 2016 the Ottawa Senators announced they had purchased their AHL affiliate, the Binghamton Senators and would relocate the team to Yardmen Arena in Belleville, Ontario where they will become the Belleville Senators for the 2017-18 season. The team does still have a lease for a team to be based out of the arena for the next three seasons and the previous ownership has stated that "Their decicsion to relocate has no impact on the AHL's presence in the Southern Tier" and "at the appropriate time we will be happy to share more details with the entire community."
- Home teams will wear light jerseys at home until the Christmas break and then wear dark jerseys at home after the break.
- Rule 82 ("Icing") In addition to not being permitted to make player substitutions, the offending team on an icing violation also may not use its team time-out.
- Rule 1.10 ("Ice Cleaning") The ice cleaning procedures used during promotional timeouts will also be used prior to overtime during the regular season, replacing the “dry scrape.”
- Rule 46 ("Fighting")/Rule 23 ("Game Misconducts") Players who enter into a fight prior to, at, or immediately following the drop of the puck for a faceoff will be assessed an automatic game misconduct in addition to other penalties assessed. During the regular season, any player who incurs his 10th fighting major shall be suspended automatically for one (1) game. For each subsequent fighting major up to 13, the player shall also be suspended automatically for one (1) game. During the regular season, any player who incurs his 14th fighting major shall be suspended automatically for two (2) games. For each subsequent fighting major, the player shall also be suspended automatically for two (2) games. In any instance where the opposing player was assessed an instigator penalty, the fighting major shall not count towards the player’s total for this rule.
Calder Cup Playoffs FormatEdit
The Calder Cup playoffs format was changed to the top four teams in each division qualifying for the playoffs (a change from the fifth place team being able to qualify if they had a better record than the fourth place team in the other division in their conference). The standings will be ranked by points percentage as was the case in 2015-16 with six of the teams playing 8 fewer games than the other 24.