This is the 2016-17 Allan Cup Hockey Season. This is the league's 6th season under this name and 26th season overall. The league was previously known as Major League Hockey from 2004 to 2011, Ontario Senior AAA Hockey League from 2003 to 2004 and Southwestern Senior A Hockey League from 1990 to 2003.
- After ceasing operations the previous October, the Norwood Vipers do not return
|Brantford Blast||Brantford||Brantford Civic Centre||2000|
|Dundas Real McCoys||Dundas||2000|
|Hamilton Steelhawks||Hamilton||Dave Andreychuk Mountain Arena||2015|
|Stoney Creek Generals||Stoney Creek||Gateway Ice Centre||2013|
|Thorold Athletics||Thorold||Frank Doherty Arena||2015|
|Whitby Dunlops||Whitby||Iroquois Park Sports Centre||2004|
to be added upon completion of the regular season
- The fifth and sixth place teams play a one game sudden victory game similar to Major League Baseball's Wild Card Round.
- The winner of the "wild card game" advances to play the fourth place team in a best-of-three series with the winner becoming the 4th seed.
- The semifinal and final round will still be best-of-seven.
- The playoff champion traditionally advances to the Renwick Cup against the Hockey Northwestern Ontario representative in a best-of-three series to determine the Ontario representative at the Allan Cup. This series will not be needed as there are no other Senior AAA teams in the province; so now the Allan Cup Hockey champion will advance directly to the 2017 Allan Cup.