The 2009–10 EIHL season will be the seventh season of the Elite Ice Hockey League. It will begin in September 2009 and conclude in April 2010.
On 25 March 2009, Basingstoke Bison announced their decision to depart from the Elite Ice Hockey League to join the second tier English Premier League, citing considerable financial losses as their reason for withdrawing. In the build up to the 2008–09 season finale, rumours circulated over the possible exclusion from the league of the Edinburgh Capitals, Manchester Phoenix and Newcastle Vipers, and the EIHL operating with six teams. Although it was initially stated that the league would continue with nine teams, it was announced on 1 May 2009 that Manchester Phoenix would also play in the English Premier League.
The resulting change in the format will see teams play a 56 game schedule, facing each of their opponents 8 times (4 home, 4 away) during the course of the regular season.
20/20 Hockey FestEdit
The 2009-10 Elite League Ice hockey season begun with a one day competition at Sheffield Steelers, Sheffield Arena. The tournament was called the 20/20 Hockey fest and was designed to make British Ice hockey more exciting. It contested of 2 periods of 20 minute non-stop clock. The tournament winners were the hosts the Sheffield Steelers.
- ↑ Bison Move to EPL. Basingstoke Bison. Retrieved on 2009-04-10.
- ↑ We Want Some Answers : Vipers. ChronicleLive. Retrieved on 2009-04-10.
- ↑ Elite League members reach agreement on exciting new future.. Elite League. Retrieved on 2009-04-10.
- ↑ Elite League to run with eight clubs as Manchester opts for the EPL. Elite League. Retrieved on 2009-05-20.
- ↑ 100 hectic days to go, but Longmuir can't wait.. Newcastle Vipers. Retrieved on 2009-05-30.
|2003–04 · 2004–05 · 2005–06 · 2006–07 · 2007–08 · 2008–09 · 2009–10|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 2009–10 EIHL season. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|