These events occured in 2003 in the world of hockey:
- Art Ross Memorial Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Peter Forsberg, Colorado Avalanche.
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Peter Forsberg, Colorado Avalanche.
- Stanley Cup – New Jersey Devils win 4 games to 3 over the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. The Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoffs MVP is won by Jean-Sébastien Giguère of Anaheim.
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: Canada defeats Sweden 3-2.
- Junior Men's champion: Russia win 3-2 over Canada.
- Women's champion: tournament scheduled for Beijing, China cancelled due to the outbreak of SARS.
- 2003 Memorial Cup
- Final: Kitchener Rangers 6-3 Hull Olympiques.
- May 14th: The Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies win the Kelly Cup by defeating the Columbia Inferno 4 games to 1 in the Kelly Cup finals.
- May 19th: To reflect its expansion into the Western region of the United States and its now nationwide presence, the East Coast Hockey League change its name to the ECHL.