Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|1992 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament|
|Dates||March 13-21, 1992|
|Finals site|| Civic Center|
St. Paul, Minnesota
|Champions||Northern Michigan (3rd title)|
|Winning coach||Rick Comley (3rd title)|
|MVP||Corwin Saurdiff (Northern Michigan)|
| WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournaments
The 1992 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament was the 33rd conference playoff in league history and 40th season where a WCHA champion was crowned. The tournament was played between March 13 and March 21, 1992. First round games were played at home team campus sites while all 'Final Four' matches were held at the Civic Center in St. Paul, Minnesota. By winning the tournament, Northern Michigan was awarded the Broadmoor Trophy and received the WCHA's automatic bid to the 1992 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
The first round of the postseason tournament featured a best-of-three games format. The team that finished ninth in the conference was not eligible for tournament play. Teams were seeded No. 1 through No. 8 according to their final conference standing, with a tiebreaker system used to seed teams with an identical number of points accumulated. The top four seeded teams each earned home ice and hosted one of the lower seeded teams.
The winners of the first round series advanced to the semifinal and championship rounds held at the Civic Center. All Final Four games used a single-elimination format. Teams were re-seeded No. 1 through No. 4 according to the final regular season conference standings, with the top remaining seed matched against lowest remaining seed in one semifinal game while the two other semifinalists meeting with the winners advancing to the championship game and the losers competing in a Third Place contest. The Tournament Champion received an automatic bid to the 1992 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
Note: GP = Games Played; W = Wins; L = Losses; T = Ties; PTS = Points; GF = Goals For; GA = Goals Against
|St. Cloud State||32||12||19||1||25||120||138||37||14||21||2||150||159|
|Championship: Northern Michigan|
† indicates conference regular season champion
* indicates conference tournament champion
Final rankings: USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Top 15 Poll
Teams are reseeded after the first round
|8||North Dakota||5||2||1||4||Colorado College||1|
|7||St. Cloud State||5||5||3||1||Minnesota||2|
Note: * denotes overtime period(s)
(1) Minnesota vs. (8) North DakotaEdit
|March 13||Minnesota||3 – 5||North Dakota||Mariucci Arena|
|March 14||Minnesota||9 – 2||North Dakota||Mariucci Arena|
|March 15||Minnesota||3 – 1||North Dakota||Mariucci Arena|
|Minnesota won series 2–1|
(2) Wisconsin vs. (7) St. Cloud StateEdit
|March 13||Wisconsin||6 – 5||OT||St. Cloud State||Dane County Coliseum|
|March 14||Wisconsin||3 – 5||St. Cloud State||Dane County Coliseum|
|March 15||Wisconsin||4 – 3||OT||St. Cloud State||Dane County Coliseum|
|Wisconsin won series 2–1|
(3) Northern Michigan vs. (6) Michigan TechEdit
|March 13||Northern Michigan||9 – 1||Michigan Tech||Lakeview Arena|
|March 14||Northern Michigan||6 – 2||Michigan Tech||Lakeview Arena|
|Northern Michigan won series 2–0|
(4) Colorado College vs. (5) Minnesota-DuluthEdit
|March 13||Colorado College||7 – 6||3OT||Minnesota-Duluth||Broadmoor World Arena|
|March 14||Colorado College||3 – 4||OT||Minnesota-Duluth||Broadmoor World Arena|
|March 15||Colorado College||5 – 4||3OT||Minnesota-Duluth||Broadmoor World Arena|
|Colorado College won series 2–1|
(1) Minnesota vs. (4) Colorado CollegeEdit
|March 20||Minnesota||5 – 1||Colorado College||Civic Center|
(2) Wisconsin vs. (3) Northern MichiganEdit
|March 20||Wisconsin||3 – 6||Northern Michigan||Civic Center|
(2) Wisconsin vs. (4) Colorado CollegeEdit
|March 21||Wisconsin||5 – 3||Colorado College||Civic Center|
(1) Minnesota vs. (3) Northern MichiganEdit
|March 21||Minnesota||2 – 4||Northern Michigan||Civic Center|
- F Craig Johnson (Minnesota)
- F Dan Plante (Wisconsin)
- F Tony Szabo (Northern Michigan)
- D Chris Hynnes (Colorado College)
- D Doug Zmolek (Minnesota)
- G Corwin Saurdiff* (Northern Michigan)
- ↑ "Northern Michigan Men's Team History". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "Rick Comley Year-by-Year Coaching Record". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "WCHA Awards", College Hockey Historical Archive. Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "2009-10 WCHA Yearbook 113-128", WCHA. Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "2009-10 WCHA Yearbook 129-144", WCHA. Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- 1991–92 WCHA Standings
- 1991–92 NCAA Standings
- 2013–14 Colorado College Tigers Media Guide
- 2013–14 Minnesota Golden Gophers Media Guide
- 2012–13 Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Media Guide
- 2013–14 North Dakota Hockey Media Guide
- 2006–07 Northern Michigan Wildcats Media Guide
- 2011–12 St. Cloud State Huskies Media Guide
- 2003–04 Wisconsin Badgers Media Guide
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 1992 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|
|1992 NCAA Division I men's ice hockey tournaments|