This is the 1971-72 Central Collegiate Hockey Association season. This was the league's first season.
- Bowling Green Falcons were previously a member of the Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association.
- Ohio State Buckeyes were previously a division I independent.
- Ohio University Bobcats elevated their program from club to varsity level.
- St. Louis Billikens created a new varsity program.
The Lake Superior Lakers were also a founding member but did not elevate its program fro the NAIA until the 1972-73 season
Note: GP = Games Played; W = Wins; L = Losses; T = Ties; PTS = Points; GF = Goals For; GA = Goals Against
|1971–72 Central Collegiate Hockey Association standingsv •d •e|
|Championship: Ohio State
† indicates conference regular season champion
March 3, 1972
March 4, 1972
|3||Bowling Green||5||Third place|
(1) Ohio State vs. (4) OhioEdit
|March 3||Ohio State||7 – 1||Ohio||St. Louis Arena|
(2) Saint Louis vs. (3) Bowling GreenEdit
|March 3||Saint Louis||6 – 5||OT||Bowling Green||St. Louis Arena|
(3) Bowling Green vs. (4) OhioEdit
|March 4||Bowling Green||7 – 6||OT||Ohio||St. Louis Arena|
(1) Ohio State vs. (2) Saint LouisEdit
|March 4||Ohio State||3 – 0||Saint Louis||St. Louis Arena|
- Goaltender: Bill McKenzie (Ohio State)
- Defensemen: Roger Archer (Bowling Green), Jim Witherspoon (Ohio State)
- Forwards: Mike Bartley (Bowling Green), John Nestic (Saint Louis), Jerry Welsh (Ohio State)
- Bill McKenzie (Ohio State)
No CCHA teams were invited to the 1972 NCAA Tournament.