The 1962 ECAC Tournament was the first regional hockey tournament held in the east. The single-elimination tournament was held in order to determine the two eastern participants in the 1962 NCAA Tournament.
The participants were:
Colby had previously attained the best record among teams in the east, in the ECAC's first season.
The quarterfinal round were held at home rinks on March 6, 1962. In each case, the home team won and advanced to the semifinals at Boston Arena.
The advancing quarterfinalists were:
- Clarkson (defeated Providence 6-3)
- Colby (defeated Rensselaer 7-6)
- Harvard (defeated Army 2-1 in overtime)
- St. Lawrence (defeated Boston College 9-4)
On March 9, 1962, the semifinal round was played. The winners were guaranteed to advance to the NCAA Tournament in Utica, New York.
- St. Lawrence defeated Harvard 6-5
- Clarkson defeated Colby 4-1
The final round took place the next day, March 10.
- Harvard defeated Colby 2-0 to take third place
- St. Lawrence defeated Clarkson 5-2 to win the first ECAC Championship.